Sunday, February 3, 2008

Blindness - Part One

Since this is no longer information from a text book, but content from a literary novel, my journal entries will look a little different.

Regardless, after reading the first section of "Blindness" it seems obvious that the white blindness is a metaphor, but for what I am not sure.

Also, the epidemic of the "blindness" has led to a quarantine of those affected which seems to make some since being that anyone who interacts with those affected with the "blindness" becomes blind as well.

I guess one theory of mine is that it seems that all those affected with the blindness seemed to face some sort of moral problem. My thought is that these individuals are not acting in accordance to any correct moral principle and thus - blindness. The man who stole the first blind man's car became blind, the prostitute became blind, and the doctor is now blind . I'm not sure what he has done or his patients , but I guess that is why this is only a theory.

Saramago's writing seems to be very difficult at times to understand due to his complete lack of any punctuation. Having taken AP English courses in high school I know that the structure of the prose can be a function of the theme or meaning of the piece so I will not criticize the author's technique too heavily at this time.

Nevertheless, I found a grammatical mistake on page 5 which bothered me. It read: "It was as if there were a white wall on the other side." This doesn't even make sense when you first read it. The word "were" should be replaced with "was" to match the agreement with the object of the sentence in number.

I'm not sure how closely I will be able to read this book given how long the assigned readings are and my time commitments to other things.

No comments: